Walton Global Sustainability Studies Scholarship
The Walton Global Sustainability Studies Scholarship supports students who want to participate in a special learning experience about sustainability issues in other countries. This scholarship is only applicable for approved Global Sustainability Studies programs. Scholarship awards of $500 will be awarded to a limited number of qualified students enrolled in a School of Sustainability GIE program and scholarship awards of $1000 will be awarded to a limited number of qualified students enrolled in School of Sustainability summer study abroad courses.
School of Sustainability Summer 2023 programs
- Botswana: Sustainability, Wildlife and Conservation in the Okavango Delta
- Sustainability Challenges of the Wildlife Economy in South Africa
School of Sustainability 2023 Global Intensive Experiences (GIEs)
- Belize: Sustainability Goals in a Caribbean Country
- Getting to 100%: The Promise and Challenge of Renewables in Hawaii
- Indigenous Sustainability Solutions in the Amazon
After applying for the program through the Global Education website, students should then apply for the Walton Scholarship. Awards will be based on intellectual curiosity for the subject being studied, maturity and readiness to engage in a group, global experience and an essay explaining how the chosen program will help them meet their personal, professional, and academic goals.
Funding is made possible by a grant made to Arizona State University by the Rob and Melani Walton Foundation.
Amount: $500 per student (GIEs), $1000 per student (Summer)
Deadline: March 1, 2023
Academic level: Undergraduate and graduate
Award term: Spring 2023 and Summer 2023
- Have completed an application through the ASU Global Education Office and have been accepted into a School of Sustainability approved Walton Global Sustainability program.
- Have completed an application for the Walton Global Sustainability Studies Scholarship.
- Have not previously been enrolled in an ASU Study Abroad course.
- Have not previously received a Walton Global Studies Scholarship.
- Have a minimum 2.75 cumulative GPA.
- Be in good standing in their respective academic programs.
- Agree to produce a professional reflection essay after completion of the summer program.
- Agree to complete any post-trip requirements as outlined in the scholarship Terms of Agreement.
Additional Policies: Scholarships are non-transferable between programs. If the program to which a student applied is cancelled, his/her scholarship award becomes void.
Essay: Submission of an essay is required for this scholarship. Students should 1) explain how this particular international study experience relates to their personal goals; 2) explain how this experience relates to their career goals; and 3) explain unusual personal circumstances the scholarship reviewer should consider, if any.
ASU and the School of Sustainability are currently moving forward with the summer 2023 study abroad program where student mobility from the United States remains possible. ASU takes guidance from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the U.S. Department of State and our international security intelligence providers. When making decisions about specific programs, we also consider local conditions as well as input from peer institutions and our overseas partners.