Rob Melnick Sustainability Scholarship
The Rob Melnick Sustainability Scholarship was established by Julie Ann Wrigley and ASU President Michael Crow, and is additionally supported by Richard Morrison of Gilbert, Arizona, to honor the contribution of Rob Melnick to the development of the Julie Ann Wrigley Global Institute of Sustainability and the School of Sustainability at Arizona State University. Melnick was the Institute’s first Executive Director, Executive Dean of its School of Sustainability and Presidential Professor of Practice as a faculty member in the School. Melnick played a vital role in the creation and growth of the Institute and the School of Sustainability. This scholarship establishes a legacy to his leadership by supporting opportunities for School of Sustainability students understand global sustainability challenges and their potential solutions.
This scholarship is to be used to support participation in a specific experience focused on global sustainability such as enrolling in a School of Sustainability Summer Study Abroad or Global Intensive Experience course, conducting applied research on a sustainability challenge in a foreign country, or presenting the applicant’s research on or proposed solution to a sustainability challenge at an international conference.
- Amount: $1,000 for an undergraduate student and $1,000 for a graduate student
- Deadline: February 15, 2023
- Initial award term: Summer 2023, Fall 2023, or Spring 2024
- Academic level: Undergraduate or graduate
- Eligibility: Undergraduate (junior or senior academic level) or graduate students enrolled in an ASU School of Sustainability degree program at the Tempe, Polytechnic, or Downtown Phoenix campus. Must be a full-time student with a minimum cumulative ASU GPA of 3.5. You must also have plans to participate in a global experience either in person or, if COVID officially restricts travel, applicants can participate remotely.
- Essay: Please describe the global experience you would like to gain as a student and how it will assist you with reaching your career goals. Responses should not be more than one page and should describe the specific activity in which you plan to participate. Identify and explain what you hope will be key “take aways” from this experience and how it will assist you in reaching a career goal. Identify the source(s) of additional financial resources beyond this scholarship alone that may be necessary to participate. See the application page for additional details.
- Reference: Please include the name of a faculty member or instructor who can serve as a reference.